Friday, December 2, 2011

What's is Love??

Baby don't hurt me...no more. Why yes, I am sitting here bopping my head back and forth to this amazingly hip song. In case you want to, click to enjoy: What is Love Song.


Now, back to business. I was washing dishes tonight (because Chris's usual idea of "cleaning" the kitchen is to put some dishes in the dishwasher and the rest in the sink...does he think these magically get washed on their own?) and I started thinking about this song and what it's saying...what is love??

I'm getting anxious about the holidays; I always do. This is a time that should be spent relaxing and enjoy the true gift of love, Christ. Instead, I am often times wrapped up in buying gifts, volunteering at church, taking the kids to see Santa, and an endless list of other things that fill my calendar, that I forget to remember what Christmas is all about. Most often I stress over stupid family stuff...people and feelings I can't control. I stress over money and how we are going to afford to buy gifts, gifts that most likely cost a lot because my worldy mind thinks that spending lots equals big rewards. Well, and the fact that I always wait til the last minute to shop and by then I can't think of a creative gift to give or make because I don't have time. And tonight, I was thinking about all of this and a scripture came to mind. "Love keeps no record of wrong". So, if I truly love, whether it's in general or someone specific...I should do just that! That doesn't mean I can't be hesitant or cautious with people regarding my feelings. I have been hurt too many times by people I care and love. But I can't let their attitudes towards me dictate my behavior. I don't have to like them and they don't have to like me, but I can still love. 

So, in case you need a reminder, here is what love is:


"No matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

   Love never gives up.
   Love cares more for others than for self.
   Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
   Love doesn't strut,
   Doesn't have a swelled head,
   Doesn't force itself on others,
   Isn't always "me first,"
   Doesn't fly off the handle,
   Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
   Doesn't revel when others grovel,
   Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
   Puts up with anything,
   Trusts God always,
   Always looks for the best,
   Never looks back,
   But keeps going to the end. Love never dies."

(1 Corinthians 13:4-8)




No comments:

Post a Comment